Raymarine Dragonfly 5-Pro is a sophisticated fish finder with lots of cool apps and functions that any angler will appreciate. Clear pictures of the bottom, with fish, clearly displayed are the main reason anglers love this unit. Add apps that allow you to wirelessly transmit images and maps to your smartphone or tablet and now all of your partners can view the same images you are in real time or later, back at the cabin. Scan the bottom from 2 feet to as much as 600 feet and even more in clear salt water.
We cover the key features, pros, and cons. manuals, maintenance, and FAQ in the following sections. For more information, the 128-page manual can be downloaded from the company’s website.
The Advantages Of Raymarine Dragonfly 5 Pro
Consumers are always looking for an edge when it comes to boating and fishing. Being safe on the water is paramount. With Raymarine Dragonfly Pro-5, boaters can avoid underwater obstacles, shallow water and hidden water logged trees that are lying just under the surface.
With detailed screen images, fishermen can fish where the fish are. Avoiding long hours on the water and coming home with no fish is almost impossible. While it will not catch the fish for you, this device will certainly tell you where the fish are.
Have you ever gone fishing and not caught any fish? Well at least with the Dragonfly Pro-5 you will know where the fish are and have a chance at catching a few. Many anglers are looking for that edge to increase their chances of snagging a few using this device with its high definition screen and color LCD.
- Imaging Sonar – Raymarine offers their product with trademarked CHIRP Downvision technology that provides a clearer more accurate view of conditions under water including the fish you are after.
- Display – The screen is guaranteed to never fog up and the screen is bright and readable even in direct sunlight.
- Share Sonar Views – The Wi-Fish Mobile app allows your friends and companions to simultaneously view the sonar results on their
smartphonesor tablets. The App allows you to rewind to examine results again, to capture images to share later and provides everyone in your group with a direct view of fish in the area and the bottom of the lake or river.
- Applications – Use
DragongflyPRO or Wi-Fish and the Navionics SonarChart app on your smart phone or tablet to review your own charts, plan future trips and show friends where you have been. The app is available on Android devices and also Apple iOS devices.
- Maps – customers can choose from Navionics, C-Map or Raymarine Lighthouse compatible charts, including built-in GPS capability.
Pros And Cons
- The screen on the Dragonfly Pro is bright and can be seen in the full sun. It identifies fish in shallow water as well as deep water.
- Customers report that sharing screen results on your
smartphoneis very cool.
- Most customers report that they love the machine, it works great and they especially like the Wi-Fi capability and sharing screen data on
- The transducer is mounted at the back of the boat and sticks out approximately 6 inches which could be a problem for some owners depending on storage and docking facilities.
- Fingerprints on the screen can be a bit of a problem. Keep
non abrasivecloths available for cleaning the screen while you are out fishing.
- Booting the device up can take a while. Changing views also takes awhile which can be problematic while travelling at high speeds. The device sometimes stops working at high speed and can take as long as several minutes to come back to life after the boat is slowed to an idling speed.
How To Use Raymarine Dragonfly 5 Pro
The manual can be downloaded to your computer or smartphone. It is 128 pages long and covers all aspects of the installation of the hardware, the installation and use of the apps, operation and use of the device as well as cleaning, maintenance, and storage.
There are detailed sections on getting started, fish finder applications, chart applications, mobile applications as well as the standard chapters on maintenance, troubleshooting, technical support, etc.
Once you have the unit installed as per the instructions contained in the manual, the first step is to turn it. Study the controls ahead of time to familiarize yourself with each of the buttons and controls. Most customers report that using this device is an intuitive process much like smartphones and other similar devices.
Raymarine Dragonfly Pro-5 will take you through an initial setup. They use a startup wizard in much the same way that your Android or iPhone did when you first turned it on. Run through the tutorial to learn how to set up the device. Although this takes some time and you are anxious to start using it, the tutorial will likely save you a great deal of time in the long run.
How deep can the sonar penetrate?
The manual indicates 600 feet, however, this depends on the type of water – Salt or Fresh, the clarity of the water, the hardness of the water, boat speed and the type of bottom – soft or hard.
How shallow can the sonar track to?
Some interference can be expected if there are other devices operating in the same area.
What is the top speed?
The manufacturer reports a speed of 45 knots, however, performance depends on the installation.
What about routes?
Dragonfly only supports tracks and waypoints.
There is no through hull transducer for this product.
The length of cable for the transducer?
Currently, it is a 6m cable, and customers can also purchase a 4 m extension.
Are there software updates?
Yes, they can be downloaded from the website and transferred to the MicroSD card that comes with the unit.
What is the voltage supply?
This is feature rich fish finder that any angler would love to have. Customer reviews are very positive on this unit. Now you can find the fish, but can you catch them?