Camping as one of the countless outdoors activities can be either enjoyed in the backyard or in the middle of the dense forest or next to the beautiful lake. Regardless of your location, having a durable and providing best cabin tent is an essential part of camping equipment that can either make or break your outdoor adventure.
Although the progressive technology of this modern era, such as television and computer, occupies our lives, people still find time to enjoy the wonders that nature offers us. More and more people are getting invested into the simple and sufficient “back to nature life” that feeds the mind and imagination.
Best Cabin Tents for Families
Last update on 2017-12-27 at 12:05 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API / Amazon Disclosure
Key Features You Should Look Out For When Buying A Cabin Tent
The mass production of this modern era offers us countless of camping gear products that promise high-quality and durability. Choosing the right tent amongst the competition and broad selection is demanding and time-consuming process.
To make your purchasing experience easier here is a list of features that will help you narrow down your options:
The first feature you should take into consideration is the sleeping capacity to make sure every single person in your expedition group gets a place for resting. Choose a model that can welcomingly accept one more extra person and that can also store your camping gear.
Because every single individual comes in different size and shape, the tent industry usually doesn’t produce per-person dimensions.
The tents can be divided according to seasonality where each group is characterized by particular features intended for particular weather conditions.
- 3-season tents are the most common choice amongst costumers that want to indulge in spring, summer and fall camping. The lightweight construction that includes breathable mesh is excellent for weather conditions that don't include heavy rain or strong wind.
- 3-4 season tents are designed for extended 3-seaonal use when temperatures become a bit more extreme. The additional pole and non-mesh material make the 3+ season tents excellent for those adventurers that want to camp in the late fall with first snowflakes in the air.
- 4-season tents are engineered to combat the extreme condition, such as snow storms and heavy winds in the highest foots of mountains. The sturdy and dome-like construction padded with waterproof and isolative material
offersa shelter for mountain climbing enthusiasts.
Peak Height and Floor Length
Cabin-style and dome-style tents defer in many aspects, and the height is definitely one of the most noticeable differences. If you are looking for a tent in which you can stand, every best cabin tent with near-vertical walls that enlarge the peak height should make the stance possible.
When it comes to dome-style tents, a person can stand straight only when in the center of the tent because the walls are sloped at an angle for maximized wind-protection.
The dimension of the floor should be chosen according to your size and the number of campers. Most typical floor length measures between the 84-88 inches for those who are less than 6 feet tall and over 90 inches for those who are taller than that.
When choosing a suitable tent a person also has to consider the doors and the overall orientation of the design as well. For the family purposes, the cabin-style tents offer multiple doors to reduce the inconveniences of crawling over other family members to go on midnight bathroom breaks. To make sure the door zipper is as quiet and resistant it is bet to choose the YKK type.
Setting up the tent can be time-consuming process especially when the instructions are not as clear. The industry has sensed this issue and created family-friendly freestanding tents that can be easy moved from one location to another before staking them into the ground. Besides, most tents that can be found on the market nowadays use clips and short pole sleeves that make the assembly much faster.
Regarding the material of the poles, the aluminum ones are much stronger and resistant than the ones made of fiberglass.
For those who are intending on using a tent in rainy weather, it is best to purchase a model that comes with waterproof cover also known as the rainfly. The
Every best cabin tent should be made of durable and high-quality materials that can withstand outdoors natural elements such as the wind, water, and rough grounds. Here is a table of 5 most commonly used materials and their characteristics.
Strong and Durable
Mixture of nylon and strong fabric
Similar to the nylon
Has better resistance than the polyester
Most commonly used for tent floors
Offers UV protection
Offers maximum UV-ray degeneration
Similar to the nylon
Bulky and Heavy
Maintains its color
The mesh is a breathable and lightweight material that is often the main component of the tent ceilings, doors, and windows. The airiness of this material makes every best cabin tent well ventilated even during the hottest summer camping days. Hot, humid and stuffy air surely is the last thing on a camper's list when desiring a peaceful night after an adventures day.
Top 5 Camping Tent for Family Reviews
Coleman 8-Person Red Canyon Tent
Coleman 8-Person Red Canyon Tent is an excellent example of purposeful camping equipment suitable for family and group expeditions. The size of this tent that measures 72-inches in center height and 17x10 feet in the floor can welcomingly accept up to 8 people of different size.
The Red Canyon model that includes a room divider that can create up to 3 rooms for the feeling of privacy is made of a durable and sturdy material that makes this product excellent for spring, summer and fall weather conditions.
The Coleman 8-Person Red Canyon Tent is made of a high-quality polyester-coated material that successfully prevents the moisture from flooding the interior. The waterproof floor designed by the WeatherTec system ensures the dryness even when camping on damp forest grounds.
- 72-inch height is suitable for tall people.
- WeatherTec System makes the tent waterproof.
- Shock-corded poles make the setup easy.
- Adjustable venting system gives control over the air flow and temperature.
- Includes the rainfly with taped seams and Velcro frame for maximum security.
- Not as waterproof as advertised.
- There have been few complaints about the lack of quality.
- The tent is not suitable for the windy and cold weather.
Coleman 8-Person Instant Tent
Another excellent product of Coleman Company that has been manufacturing camping gear since 1900 is a Coleman 8-Person Instant Tent series designed for quick and easy assembly.
This Coleman tent model can be quickly setup in a matter of minutes because the poles that come pre-attached to the very construction make the assembly easy even for those who haven’t got a lot of camping experiences.
When successfully assembled the overall style offers 2 doors and 7 windows that make the whole tent practical as well as efficiently ventilated. The interior 2-room design also makes the tent suitable for family purposes when privacy becomes needed right.
The overall construction of the tent is designed according to the exclusive WeatherTec methodology that makes the walls, as well as the floor, suitable for enjoying nature in wet conditions.
- Welded floors and inverted seams prevent the moisture from invading the interior.
- Built-in vented rainfly protects the tent from unexpected weather.
- Pre-assembled poles are arranged for quick assembly.
- 6 feet 5 inches tall tent is suitable for tall people.
- On a pricier side.
- Not as waterproof as advertised.
- Few complaints about the zipper or pole snapping or breaking.
Wenzel 8 Person Klondike Tent
The Wenzel 8 Person Klondike Tent is another excellent camping product currently on the market that is suitable for family as well as the person purposes. The dimensions of the tent stand at 16 x 6,5 x 11 feet (W x H x D) give plenty of up to 8 individuals to comfortably sleep inside the tent.
This dome-shaped tent has also a screen room that provides much-needed shade and protection from mosquitoes during the hot summer days while still offering the view. The screened section can also function as a
The Wenzel 8 Person Klondike Tent is made of weather-resistant polyester fabric with additional polyurethane coating for maximum protection. The roof is made of breathable mesh that keeps the air in the tent fresh and dry at all times. Big windows and screen area additionally elevate the ventilation ability.
- The screen space protects from bugs while still offering the view.
- Mesh roof and windows make the tent ventilated for more suiting nights.
- Polyester with polyurethane coating makes the tent water-resistant.
- Lower zipper vent keeps the tent ventilated even near the floor.
- Double-staked Power corners give stability.
- There have been few complaints about the fiberglass poles not being as durable.
- Is not as water-resistant as advertised.
- Not suitable for windy conditions.
Coleman Instant Cabin Tent
Another amazing product by the Coleman Company is the Coleman Instant Cabin Tent series that is suitable for small groups of people that want to explore the wilderness. With the 10 x 9 ft floor and 6 ft 2 inches high center the interior of the tent can be easily occupied with two queen sized airbeds.
Coleman Instant Cabin Tent is designed by the principals of exclusive WaterTec System that make this product water-resistant. The welded floor and inverted seams prevent the water from flooding the interior when camping in rainy weather. Vented rainfly that is already built in maximizes the protection by making the interior dry during unpredictable weather conditions.
The Coleman Instant Cabin Tent comes with the pre-assembled steel poles that not only make the tent durable but also make the assembly process quick and easy, even for those who don’t have plenty of camping experiences.
- 150D/150D polyester fabric with taped seams makes the tent durable and water-resistant.
- Big enough to fit the two queen sized airbeds.
- Exclusive WaterTec System prevents the water from invading the interior.
- Built-in vented rainfly maximizes the protection from the rain.
- Pre-assembled steel poles make the setup easy.
- Not as waterproof as advertised.
- There have been few complaints about the poles breaking.
- The height of the tent is not appropriate for tall people.
CORE 6 Person Instant Cabin Tent
CORE 6 Person Instant Cabin Tent surely falls in the “best cabin tent” category as the dimensions and the H2O Block Technology make this product suitable for group adventures in different weather conditions.
The assembly of the Instant Cabin Tent series is easy because the poles are already pre-attached to the tent. All a camper has to do is unpack, unfold and extend the tent. Once the CORE 6 Person Instant Cabin Tent is set up, it occupies 11 x 9 feet surface while the center height that measures 72 inches enables the standing position even for tall people.
The CORE 6 Person Instant Cabin Tent is designed by the principals of H2O Block Technology that make the fabric and sealed seams water-resistant. The fully-taped and removable rainfly maximizes the protection from the rain when the cloudy day approach, and when the sun comes out and the temperatures get higher, the roof mesh and adjustable ground vent allow the fresh air to circulate throughout the whole tent to eliminate the stuffy atmosphere.
- Suitable for family purposes.
- H2O Block Technology makes the tent water-repellant.
- Fully-taped and removable rainfly elevates the protection from the rain.
- Mesh and adjustable vent give control over the ventilation and temperature.
- The center measures 72 inches in height, which makes the tent suitable for tall people also.
- The wall organizing pocket is excellent for storing cell phones and other things that usually get misplaced.
- There have been few complaints about the zipper performance.
- Zipper gets easily caught in the fabric running along the opening.
It is safe to say that the modern market characterized by mass production offers a vast selection of camping tents that every nature enthusiast can choose from. The reviews and exposed pros and cons of these 5 tents that surely belong to the “best cabin tent” category prove that the durability and quality can still be found at a reasonable price.
For all those who are looking forward to exploring the wonders of the world with the group of friends or with family, it is best to purchase 6 to 8 person tent with the interior dividers for the feeling of privacy. Three-season tents that are made of polyester fabric coated with polyurethane will ensure your adventures don’t turn into a disaster by the unpredictable weather changes.